Monday, September 10, 2007

Where were you? September 11, 2001


Where were you September 11, 2001?
By Scott Lukaitis
Photo by Todd and Vito Lukaitis


There are moments in everyones life where an instant is remembered. My parents remember where they were when Kennedy was shot but for most Americans our moment in time is September 11, 2001. The feelings and emotions are still as vivid today as they were that fateful day 6 years ago. My morning began like most with a simple ride to work but part of about 15 minutes into my 40 minute trip there was something strange heard over the radio. The normal joking banter between the morning jocks had given way to something more. A plane had hit one of the twin towers. Growing up in the New York/New Jersey area I had been to the towers a couple of times on school field trips and with my family and the vision of them in the distance had been part of nearly all of our holidays growing up driving down the turnpike on the way to visit family in Jersey City.
At first I didn't think much of it it appaered to be just a random accident. The early news reports made it seem as if it was a small commuter plane not the large passenger variety that we learned later. But when the second plane impacted the tower and other planes were missing I realized it was something more. From that moment forward the day was a blur. Since I was at work and a tv was not readily available we all tried to piece together informtion from customers and teh radio and internet. I spoke to my wife and brother and tried to get ahold of my parents who were in Disneyworld in Florida and were actually underground the Magic Kingdom on a behind the scenes tour when they found out the news.
In the days and weeks to come there was a re-newed sense of patriotism and love of fellow man. American flags flew everywhere and the Star Spangled Banner had a new feeling of heart and soul. Over the years I feel that people have begun to forget what happened that sunny September morning. Many have forgotten the thousand of innocent lives that were lost. The acts of bravery that the first responders exhibited in an attempt to save lives, many lost their own. Those men and women in New York, Washington DC and Pennsylvania, who are forever part of the darkest day in American History, should never be forgotten.
I for one will always remember where I was on September 11, 2001. Will you?

No comments:

NJ Motocross.....the blog

This blog is written and maintained by Scott Lukaitis and Lukaitis Photo. If you like what you see check our associate sites at njmotocross.com or lukaitisphoto.com. Questions or comments can be addressed to me directly at scott@njmotocross.com Thanks and enjoy!

GO TO NJ Motocross NOW